Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Lawton knows how devastating a fire can be to your home or office. Aside from seeing precious memories ruined or business records destroyed, you now have to deal with the clean up restoration process, of which you know nothing about.
Don’t worry. We’re here to help. Our highly trained technicians will explain the process to you, and we’ll be here for you every step of the way.
We’ll work with your insurance agent and adjuster. We’ll provide a free inspection (if necessary) to show where the smoke and soot has traveled throughout your property. And we’ll provide a loss report as well as our recommendations for the clean up and restoration process.
Fire and smoke damage? Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Lawton.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (580) 699-2662
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.